The Mission of Community Village Lawrence is to enhance quality of life for the entire community by helping neighbors remain in their homes as they age. We aim to do this by creating a network of supports and services following the Village model to make aging at home a long-term, affordable option.
Community Village Lawrence is a membership-based service with an expanding volunteer network. Any Lawrence resident who wishes to age in their home but feels they may need extra support is invited to join. Become a member or volunteer for Community Village Lawrence and join a strong and growing community. Visit the Membership and Volunteer Opportunities pages for more information.
Community Village Lawrence to Participate in Panel Discussion
at Free State Festival
On Sunday, July 2 at 3:00 p.m., the Free State Festival will include a screening of the movie The Tree, which won the Kansas City Film Fest’s Audience Award.
The film is about an 88-year-old woman who takes a road trip to visit a friend. The movie addresses issues related to aging and independence.
Community Village Lawrence board members, Ellen Paulsen and Tamara Cash, will participate in a panel discussion after the movie.
When: Sunday, July 2 from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Where: Lawrence Arts Center Main Stage, 940 New Hampshire
Tickets are $8
Additional information can be found at: Free State Festival
Would you or friend/loved one like assistance
in any of the following areas?
- Preparing for and attending health-related appointments?
- A note-taker to write down what the health professional says during the appointment?
- Transportation to and from the appointment
- From your front door to the chair in the appointment room!
- General support and companionship throughout the entire appointment process?
If you answered yes to any of these, don’t worry:
Help is on the way!
Health Support Volunteers
A New Program Coming Soon!
What is a Health Support Volunteer (HSV)?
- An extra set of ears during a health-related appointment
- A note-taker: someone to document the communication between doctor and patient.
- Someone to help you prepare for and attend medical appointments
- HSVs can be by your side during the entire process, from preparing to prescription pickup!
- General support and companionship for the patient - empowering them to be an active participant in their health care.
- Someone to remind you to ask a specific question before the doctor leaves or to clarify confusing terms.
- NOT a medical health professional or medical advocate!
If you would like to be involved in the HSV program development and implementation OR become a future HSV, please contact CVL's AmeriCorps VISTA HSV Program Coordinator (information below).
This event has been RESCHEDULED for
September 25, 2017. More info soon to come!
Check it out
The 2016 Community Village Lawrence Annual Report, here.
We are proud to be a member
of the Village Network. Click on
the image to the right to learn more.
On the Village Movement:
Seniors Hold on to Urban
Independence Into Old Age,
a PBS special on the national